Paul Washer’s False Teachings

Paul Washer, Lordship teacher & Accuser of the Brethren

Part 1

This article was written in 2014. I added this section because on March 21, 2017 I heard Paul Washer had a heart attack and was in critical condition. I did not know the outcome. And I said that if he lived, I was praying that he would examine the false gospel he has been teaching others, and be sure that he understands THE gospel, so that he might not perish. Pray for that. Pray for any who follow after him to look to the Word for the truth, to be noble (Acts 17:11).

Paul Washer said he died 3 times and that he’s been given more time. Yes he has been granted more time, God is longsuffering, not desiring that any should perish. I pray in it he’ll re-examine his gospel for the sake of so many.

Here is the 2014 article now on lordship pastor Paul Washer

I am starting an article here on Lordship (Way better named Load-ship) teacher Paul Washer. It is spur of the moment, so it may be added to over time. It’s been on my mind many times to do so. This will not be very pleasant likely, as some feel he is sincere, (and he may be, that’s not my call, but if so, he is sincerely wrong). I do not judge the man to either be sincere, or insincere either way, God looks on the heart.

I am only here to deal with the doctrine in the light of God’s Word. Paul Washer says an awful lot of things that the Scriptures do not say. And he uses an awful lot of God’s Word, in a way that doesn’t line up with the truth.  Case in point, this picture below on his Facebook quotes page.

DontPrayForStrengthToNotCommitSin

BUT IN DIRECT CONTRADICTION TO WHAT PAUL WASHER SAYS ABOVE, THE BIBLE SAYS:

Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.  Matt 26:41 (see also 1 Thess 5:16-18; Matt 7:7-11; Psalm 103:11-14)

For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. Heb 4:15-16

Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. James 5:16

Every time we talk to God about sin in our lives, we are praying. Every time we confess or agree with God about something we’ve failed in we’re praying. We confess our faults to others we trust in the body so they can pray with us. These types of false propaganda banners are typical of Washer’s accusatory and holier-than-thou style.  Is this preaching the Word of God? Or is it preaching the words of Paul Washer?

I am putting this post up just as a beginning outline of some things I will cover. The first time I saw Washer, I was disturbed by his teaching and not in a good way. The video I saw part of and turned off was his ‘shocking youth message‘. I heard the whole thing, and we will deal with the message on this continuing series Lord willing.

Paul Washer’s ‘gospel’ which is another

Later I heard another Paul Washer ‘gospel’ message that wasn’t the gospel I know from the Bible.   Many more times, I listened to his messages, each time, not the Word of God I knew. I was upset as I saw many following after him. Funny, the underlying message always seemed to be, “you’re not saved if you haven’t done THIS or you haven’t done THAT“. And the ‘this or that’ that he was using, wasn’t once, “did you believe on the Lord Jesus Christ”?

Paul the apostle said God commanded men everywhere to repent, but these men will have you believe that this equates to ‘repent from sin’. (It does not), repent (where metanoia or metanoeo is used) means to change your mind or think differently about something. For the Jews it was not ‘think not’ that being sons of Abraham was how they were saved. For the philosophers on Mars Hill they were told you ‘ought not think’ that God was represented by their false gods made by their hands of gold, silver and stone. So they need to get the meaning of repent right. (See Repentance in Salvation by Ron Shea here)

We are to judge sin in the church, but we do not judge the world. But these mini-accusers think it’s their job to go out and judge the world too (remember, they think many of these are unsaved). They condemn people who say they have believed the gospel, and judge them to not be saved. This is not righteous judgment (John 7:24).

What does the Bible say?

For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within? But them that are without God judgeth.  1 Cor 5:12-13a

In this same chapter, Paul judged the Corinthians for not disciplining, nor mourning over this grave sexual immorality. But he never judged them to be unsaved, or even suggested it. He gave over the carnal sinner to Satan for the destruction of his flesh BUT…. Paul (by the Holy Spirit) judged him to BE SAVED)…

Paul Washer Continually judges other’s salvation

So Paul Washer…

Are you to judge whether someone is a false convert?

Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.

1 Cor 4:5

Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.

Rom 14:4

Paul Washer on exposing sin

exposing sin

There are many things I hope to share in the future. One will be the very sad and empty testimony of his wife’s ‘conversion’. Charo suffered 12 years of being accused while listening to him ‘preach’. She didn’t come out on the other side hearing truth from him but more accusation. Tragic.

Washer continually is an accuser of the brethren. If Paul Washer is saved, we need to talk about what his remedy should be if he believes someone is not saved.

Ask yourself here, what is the remedy for someone who is not saved?

Instead of sharing the good news of salvation, Washer uses his own solution instead — which is to accuse people of being false converts based on their works, behavior or outward appearance.

You cannot prove you are saved by fleshly works. It is the job of the Holy Spirit to convict the world. (John 16:9-11).

Matthew 7

JudgeNotLestOver and over he dwells on the incorrect usage of the passage in Matthew 7 regarding the false prophets. Does Jesus say in His Word we will know Christians” by their fruit? Where is that? This is NOT rightly dividing God’s Word, nor trembling at His Word Mr. Washer (2 Tim 2:15; Isaiah 66:2)

He misuses this passage spoken about false prophets presumably to instill fear into believers, (or worse — keep the lost — lost). Washer never really preaches the good news of the gospel to give them hope, but a false gospel of man-centered works.

Washer wrongly defines the narrow way, and instead of applying that way to being Jesus, He applies it instead to our works, as if a person’s walk is the narrow way. As if somehow a believer’s salvation is based on a lifetime of works.

John MacArthur and Paul Washer

He and John MacArthur do similar things in their ‘preaching’. It was first hearing Paul Washer that inspired me to look up John MacArthur’s teaching on the same passage. And it birthed the blog here on just one of MacArthur’s ‘teachings’ of the narrow way which is entitled the ‘only road to heaven‘. Another accursed gospel, consisting of nothing but a long list of man-centered works — almost identical in style to Paul Washer. But, birds of a feather…

Paul Washer teaches a false gospel of works. I will try to answer any sincere questions as we go along but all others who are here to argue, accuse, berate, I won’t permit. Sound speech that cannot be condemned and reasoning with the Word is what I can allow.

Stay tuned… READ PART 2 HERE

73 Responses to “Paul Washer’s False Teachings

• Sounds good Holly. I’m am also getting ready to do a review of one of his books. Should be done hopefully in a month or so.

Jim F

• Enid Chamblee
    7 years ago

Here are a few of my thoughts, Holly.

• Waiting to hear them 🙂

Evidently, they didn’t post… I hope you saved them.

• Enid Chamblee
        7 years ago

Ok, I’ll try again. I was just bringing over what I had posted on the other side. I listened about 6 years ago as I struggled to truly seek God and truth, and at first I thought I had found it in him, Paul Washer. But, as I read my Bible and did a search and found him to be a 5 point or perhaps a Hyper-Calvinist, I truly ran from his teachings. He is a Pharisee and totally a false teacher and if he has ever really read God’s word then he is guilty of falsely dividing the Word. He believes no one can be saved unless God supernaturally regenerates them so they can believe. I could post tons of videos and quotes, but suffice it to say that he is teaching a false gospel, one that if attained gives no assurance and he says that we must continue repenting from our sins in order to really be saved. Lie! Christ died once for all our sins, Christ cannot die again. Truly, Calvinists are credited with OSAS, but what they believe is not what we think of as a free gift of Salvation that is forever, no, their’s must be earned, by continuing to progress and becoming more holy. Paul Washer says that you can measure your Salvation by whether you have progressed or if you are just standing still or falling back. That is a lie! So, you are very nice Holly, and you have not said this, but anyone who is preaching something that is not true and will not save, is not speaking from God. I could go on………..but I am just so upset over this man and his false message and how so many agree with him and support him. Ok, I will stop now.

• Jesusguy
          2 years ago

I know your works, your labor, your [b]patience, and that you cannot [c]bear those who are evil. And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars; 3 and you have persevered and have patience, and have labored for My name’s sake and have not become weary. 4 Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love. 5 Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent. (Rev 2: 2-5)

These are the words of Christ to HIS CHURCH. Repenting does not mean him having to die again. Jesus himself calls his own to repent when they err and not repenting has its consequences.

Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross [b]daily, and follow Me. (Luke 9:23)

Did Christ mean he planned to die daily when he asked us to take up our cross daily?

Let the one who is doing harm continue to do harm; let the one who is vile continue to be vile; let the one who is righteous continue to live righteously; let the one who is holy continue to be holy.”

“Look, I am coming soon, bringing my reward with me to repay all people ACCORDING TO THEIR DEEDS. (REV 22:11,12)

• And there is one ‘deed’ He asks of us David, and when we do this, we have the free gift of eternal life.

Jesus asks those who will become disciples to do these things (follow Him, pick up our cross, deny ourselves, etc.). We should. But not to gain eternal life.

Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent. John 6:28-29

I hope you might consider the truth before it’s too late David.

• Jesusguy
            2 years ago

Jesus says “deeds” but you say “deed”. Isn’t that removing from his word, Holly?

We don’t do these things to gain eternal life. We do them so we don’t lose eternal life after we’ve gained it.

Rev 2:5 – Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent.

Believing on him is to give ourselves to EVERYTHING he says to us. Your belief controls your actions. The fact that salvation is free wasn’t contradicted by Christ when he told people to “sin no more”.

I hope you might consider the truth before it’s too late, Holly.

• This will be the last post David, if you don’t agree here, probably time to move along. You’ve been taught a lot of things that don’t line up with His Word.

The verse you quoted in Revelation doesn’t speak to believers deeds.
            Revelation 2:5 speaks of a lampstand being removed from church, not eternal life from an individual.
            If you believe you can lose your salvation, you are haven’t understood the gospel message. Because everlasting life is just that. And if you believe you can lose what you’ve ‘gained’, you haven’t understood it’s a ‘free gift’ not an ‘earned’ one.

Jesus says those who have believed will NEVER PERISH.
            You say you can lose eternal life.

Jesus says He will not lose one.
            You say people can be lost again.

Jesus says No man can snatch a believer from His hand.
            You say that you can.

You have shown you have not believed God’s testimony of His Son. I know I currently have eternal life, and I know it is everlasting. I know that I will not be lost, and I can not lose what is free and eternal.

I can only pray you’ll consider the Word in context and ask the Lord to show you the truth and be willing to receive it. But I won’t post more of your statements that you can lose eternal life, it is false and you are making God out to be a liar. One of us will be sorely wrong if we don’t change our thinking and believe what He has said.

• Amen Enid, you are speaking boldly, what he speaks is a lie. Thank you for being so straightforward, sometimes I am not as bold as I should be, wanting to be soft spoken, but Paul Washer is a false teacher who will destroy the assurance of many people. Men like him are subtle, they ‘seem’ to preach the Bible but he does not rightly divide God’s Word.

Thank you for your truthfulness, in Him!

• So sad to see, so many people have bought his false gospel, we have street preachers preaching his message on the streets, here in Australia, but you cannot tell them. Deception is such a powerful thing, doctrines of demons that sit behind these false doctrines. It brings division into the body, then we look like the bad ones for speaking it out. We are accused of being unloving and judgemental when we excercise our discernment. It truly is the death of biblical discernment, and the wolves now have free reign in the church. I can’t understand how people are in churches anymore, other than the free gracers who preach the gospel with clarity. The hour is late, and it is truly spiritually dark in the apostate times we live in.

May the lord grant us boldness, that we not cower to the fear of man. That we rescue some from the clutches and deceptions of Satan.

• Verenna Isbister
    7 years ago

I have not read your entire article yet as I am stuck at the beginning with your reply to the first Paul Washer quote:
    “Look, God does not command you to pray to be strong enough to do something that He has told you not to do”

Your reply: BUT THE BIBLE SAYS: Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak. Matt 26:41

I cannot see how this Washer guy is wrong. In fact the Bible verse backs him up totally! Surely “God does NOT command us to pray to be strong enough to do something that He (GOD) has told us NOT to do” – because we are to “Watch and pray” that we will “NOT enter into temptation” because our “flesh is weak”!

To indicate that Washer is wrong is to say the God asks us to pray to be strong enough to do something that He has told us NOT to do!

Also can you put some links in to the quotes so that we can cross reference for context. Thanks

• The quotes are 100% in their entirety found on Paul Washer’s FaceBook page :), thank you for drawing that to my attention Verenna (that I left out the citation). I’ll wait until you have time to read both parts and maybe peruse more.

Yes, the Lord does tell us to pray to be strong because our flesh is weak. Read on, part one is just an introduction.

• Kearcy Suzanne Hahn
        5 years ago

It’s hard to believe anyone would preach not to pray. Wow

• That’s what I hope people might stop and listen to Kearcy. Many of his quotes and Washer-isms are filled with things that are not what Scripture encourages us with. God bless your week <3

• Jesusguy
          2 years ago

Actually, the Bible does preach not to pray amiss (James 4:3). Is the Bible hard to believe?

• Are you aware that Paul Washer did a sermon advocating the silence of contemplative prayer. He quoted Brother Lawrence. I will try to hunt it up if you want.

• Lynnylou, that would be great, I would appreciate it very much. Thank you.

• I found the sermon Lynnylou, don’t know if there is a better audio, because the first 5 min. are really not working, but it was on discerning the word, thank you for bringing it to my attention. She said these were the problematic areas.

At the very beginning of the message he speaks of silence and meditation (5:50)
      Cites a poem or something that refers to the sacred silence (6:53).
      This is where he talks about Practice the Presence is (21:45) – Paul Washer is quoting “Brother Lawrence – Contemplative Monk” (1611- 1691).

• lynnylou
    7 years ago

This is the link to the sermon where Paul Washer quotes a poem by Brother Lawrence early 5-6 mins mark, as well as mentioning the words silence & meditation.Later round the 21.45 to 22.05 min. mark he keeps referring to practising the presence.

• Oh, I see you shared, sometimes it notifies me, and sometimes it takes awhile, thank you very much.

• Paul Washer correctly interprets Matthew 7 with regard to the narrow way because Jesus said straight is the gate (Himself) and narrow is the “way,” (Your walk in this life) that leads to Heaven. You stated that Jesus is that narrow way, well if coming to Jesus is the way then what is the gate He is referring to? Furthermore, Paul Washer does not preach works earns salvation but rather having works is evidence of salvation – something you can Biblically support with books such as James. And yes, you will know them by their fruit applies to Christians as well because the attributes of The Holy Spirit are called “The fruits of The Spirit.” Why would a false teacher have the fruits of the Spirit?
    Furthermore, in 1 John, it clearly states that those who claim to have fellowship with the light (be Christians) but walk in darkness are liars. That is a fact and warning from God’s Holy Word to false converts that they are not of the faith if they live in sin. Paul Washer is a true man of God who preaches the hard truths people NEED to hear in this age of Joel Osteen and Joyce Meyer money hungry false teachers. Your main argument against Paul is that he emphasizes works earning salvation – that is not true at all. He emphasizes the completely Biblical teaching of examining yourself in the light of God’s Word to see if you are truly in the faith. You know how many ministers tell people to just say a prayer, don’t worry about repenting, believe in Jesus, you can basically live as you please and now you’re saved – the VAST majority. They never teach them to repent, never teach them to submit to The Lordship of Christ, never teach them anything Jesus actually taught. Paul Washer is a breath of fresh air in an age of absolute apostasy. I am utterly shocked by the extreme simplicity and superficiality with which you have tried to “expose” a true man of God like Paul Washer. What does Paul Washer stand to gain by being so direct and serious? Do some research on him. Is he wealthy? Do the masses like his sermons? Does he sit back in a massive house every night? No. He wants people to come to true, not counterfeit, saving faith in Jesus Christ – the true kind where people are truly born again and receive the Holy Spirit and become new creations in Christ as the scriptures declare. This is no game, these are people’s eternal souls. Yes, he is a Calvinist which I don’t agree with at all, but that is false doctrine which he got from seminary (as did Ray Comfort, MacArthur, John Piper and almost every minister who went to seminary) which does not make him a false teacher by any means. I would seriously get your facts straight before bringing an accusation against a true servant of The Lord Jesus. Please watch this sermon and tell me if this man is a false teacher. God bless.

• Tyler, thank you for visiting and giving your thoughts. I have watched many of Washer’s sermons (and examined them by God’s Word). I have gone through many transcripts, and paid to have transcripts made of his sermons, also scrupulously examining them. I believe I’ve done about all I want to in watching and examining his message, which I believe is accursed.

YOU SAY: “Paul Washer correctly interprets Matthew 7 with regard to the narrow way because Jesus said straight is the GATE (Himself) and narrow is the “way,” (Your walk in this life) that leads to Heaven…..well if coming to Jesus is the way then what is the GATE He is referring to?”

In Matthew 7, Jesus is the GATE we enter in, Jesus is the Narrow way that leads to life, and Jesus is the ROCK that He tells them to build their house upon.
      If that narrow way were our walk vs. Jesus, you are stating our works ‘lead to life’. Not true. Actually the broad way is adding ‘works’ to Jesus and His work. Continue on to see the false prophets justifying themselves by their ‘wonderful works’…

I believe the verses have been provided, but I’ll share again in case they are not on here.
      GATE & STONE/ROCK

From Psalm 118:

19 Open to me the gates of righteousness:
      I will go into them, and I will praise the Lord:
      20 this GATE of the Lord,
      into which the righteous shall ENTER.
      21 I will praise thee: for thou hast heard me,
      and art become my salvation.
      22 The STONE which the builders refused
      is become the head STONE of the corner.

From John 10, regarding the Door (Gate).
      7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the DOOR of the sheep.
      8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.
      9 I am the DOOR: by me if any man ENTER IN, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. John 10:7-9

WE SEE CHRIST IS THE GATE BY WHICH WE ENTER IN.

MORE ON THE STONE/ROCK

Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; 2 and were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 3 and did all eat the same spiritual meat; 4 and did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual ROCK that followed them: and that ROCK was Christ. 1 Cor 10:1-5

As far as the Narrow Way:

Jesus saith unto him, I am THE WAY, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. John 14:6

As far as works evidencing salvation. God tells us how we can KNOW we have eternal life (1 John 5:13, John 20:31)

James 2 does not Biblically support works is evidence of salvation, or the Holy Spirit inspired author wouldn’t have called these carnal, wrathful, hard of heart believers, brethren, beloved, etc. He was chastising BELIEVERS for their works being useless or dead, doing no one any good. Because we as BELIEVERS are to be careful to maintain good works (Titus 3:8) for it is beneficial to others (a testimony – or our justification before men) – consider Col 4:5-6.

Whether you are utterly shocked or not, or judge Paul Washer to be a ‘true man of God’, I judge doctrine, it is 1 Gal 1:6-9 who calls his message accursed.

I am sure all the people who were misleading the church at Galatia were looking ‘upright’, and did good works, as did the false prophets of Matthew 7, wolves who looked just like nice sheep doing good works and calling Him Lord Lord. Sound like anyone you know?

I agree, this is no game, this is indeed about people’s souls. Including your own if you think Paul teaches the gospel.

What is your gospel if I might ask Tyler? What must you do to be saved? I’d appreciate if you’d be willing to examine that Scripture you provide in context, and with the correct meaning.

I.E., don’t state repent = repent from sin.

• I dont really know who are miss, but that was a genius discernment of Scriptural truth.

• Paul, I am just a child of His, nothing special. I am thankful for the good news of the gospel, that was the power of God unto salvation. Not by any works that I had done. These men say they teach a God glorifying gospel, but what they truly teach is man-centered religious works that will keep the lost condemned, and that will make stumble those who have believed, and put them back into bondage. If the Lord is willing, I pray these, some of them, might come to a true understanding of the good news.

• 2mattmoore
      6 years ago

Tyler be careful not to fall into the “either/or” trap
      Our enemy is a master deceiver.
      I’ll try to paint a picture of how he works:
      Let’s say there is a black box in the middle of the room.
      One man says it’s pink. Another man says it’s yellow.
      The guy that says it’s yellow can prove that the man who says it’s pink is wrong. Because he is right in proving the other guy wrong he assumes he is still right about the box being yellow.
      I can see where tons of false doctrine can and does come from this premise.

• Both sides are wrong. By this I mean the false teachers of Joel Osteen and Joyce Meyer and the false teacher Paul Washer. Keep your eyes on Jesus. Don’t look left. Don’t look right. Left: Osteen; Right: Washer. Both are deceived. Jesus preached the Kingdom is at hand. All this gibberish about “how” to get saved and all the doubt is straight from Satan. It is the old lie from the garden. Satan offered to Eve what she and Adam ALREADY HAD. Biting into the docterine of Washer is like biting into that fruit. Bottom line the Old Testament points to Jesus and our need for a savior. Believe you need a savior and that he is the one and you have crossed over into life. It is always Condition and Position. Condition: believed Jesus (saved) Position: how close your relationship is with Him. You can not save yourself and you can not keep yourself saved. This trying to “save yourself (Paul Washer) theology: is the mark of the beast 666. It is putting “you” in the place of God. RUN. Look straight to the cross and no where else. Also, Spurgeon references that the Pilgrim’s Progress was one of his favorite books and it got him into a very, very dark place which caused him to search for truth and find that it was as simple as looking to Jesus.

• Mandy, thank you for coming and commenting 🙂

I sure hope Spurgeon figured it out, some of his later sermons suggest he did not. Turn and Burn was just awful. But glad to hear that Pilgrim’s Progress got him to a dark place, I hope that he rejected that Calvinism was the gospel too (as he preached).

We need to look to Jesus Christ and Him Crucified and Resurrected for us, for our sin. Who He is and what He did. Like you say, our condition is to believe upon Him as our Savior (the only way) and instantly our position is secure in Him (we are sons, adopted). Our fellowship is very important, and that’s one thing sadly that many neglect through hardening of sin, or lack of obedience to abide in the Lord and His Word (Lk 10:38-42), choosing the good part!

God bless your week!

• Paul Washer is once again being misrepresented. He preaches about evidence of conversion, not works to stay saved.

• Caleb, I appreciate you trying to defend someone you obviously admire. But is what Paul Washer ‘says’ what we should be looking at, or what the Word says?

Washer misuses a lot of Scripture to somehow come up with ‘evidence of conversion’ which is nowhere seen even one time by the apostles. Not one time did they suggest one was not saved based on their works, in fact they judged them to be saved in spite of some things that were pretty awful (think on the incestuous adulterer in 1 Cor 5). Think hard on who you are defending and be noble (Acts 17:11). Search the Scriptures to see if what Paul Washer is saying is true, because if you are looking for evidence of conversion, what is the standard? By what meter? God’s standard is perfection and no less.

• Nathan Paul
    6 years ago

Holly – I have only awoken recently to the things I had been deceived by in the past. I am still deprogramming myself or I should say repenting (changing my mind). I have heaviness of heart when remembering that I would listen to and recklessly believe things preached by people who would search for evidences of belief in others (fruit inspectors). I am ashamed of being so gullible. I remember wondering why I could be so judgmental of my brothers and sisters in Christ that didn’t seem to be towing the line in their Christian walk, yet being no better in my own struggles with sin and temptation. I hated being such a hypocrite, but I had no idea what was feeding it. Little did I know that the fruit inspecting messages were rubbing off on me. It produced sickness of thought. To consider that I acted no better than a pharisee. I was deceived by teachings that are contrary to true Biblical doctrine and it was sad to say the least.

I am also angered that there continues to be so much work of deception out there that turns people away from simply trusting in the most awesome, precious and unmatched gift found in Jesus Christ’s finished work alone. Being encouraged to walk in the Spirit, as a grateful expression of your secure eternal salvation, because of what Christ did for us is the way of freedom, but being bullied into it is a way of bondage.

I remember someone sharing once how a shepherd tends their sheep in the land of the Bible. They said the shepherds way is always call to their sheep and the sheep hears his voice and they come to him. This is unlike the way sheep are herded in America today. They are driven harshly and relentlessly to go where the herder wants them to go. No peace, no rest.

I am rather now listening for the true Shepherds sweet voice when He calls me.

Along with that, on a positive note. I listened to Dr Cucuzza’s message yesterday titled “The Joy That Came From Being Wrong” It really encouraged me to move on and enjoy walking the true way of freedom in Christ alone and leave the errors behind. But it also allows for me better discernment in the future.

Thank you for having the courage to write this article. I pray you will be strengthened to continue to stand for the true and pure Gospel of the finished work of Jesus Christ alone.

• Nathan, I listened to that message too, it is a great one. The Word is so helpful to me. There was once a Maxine cartoon or email that said something in thanks to the Lord, about having not yelled, or lost her temper, or been unkind, etc. so far that day, but she was going to need help for the rest of the day because she was about ready to get out of bed.

The Lord was surely right when He told us to abide in Him, and abide in His Word. Luke 10:38-42 taught me the best lesson I think… feet time I call it. The stresses of life, kids, parents with illness, work can surely put us in places where we are sinning by grumbling, or being grumpy, relieving stresses in wrong ways, or being short tempered etc. We need the Lord. We need fed. We need to stay close to the Shepherd. I too thought I was a pretty good person, and am ashamed to say, although I didn’t quite realize what I was doing, the stinking thinking of loadship (not misspelled) doctrine, had me elevating myself to not ‘be like that person’. EVEN the ones that we holier-than-thou, I found myself grumbling to the Lord about one time in Bible study. I saw some of the cliquish women rolling their eyes at another woman who was sharing some problems, and was telling the Lord, “did you see that Lord? They’re making fun of her…who do they think they are, they think they’re better than her…” And it hit me, I believe the Lord impressed upon me, that I was doing the very same thing with them. I think I have changed a lot slower than most, and that disappoints me sometimes, but I do know where to go (His Word) and who to talk to about it. The Lord, the Lord… He is so good to the children of men.

Thank you for your encouragement, and I pray the same for you. Keep close in His Word, keep ‘proving all things’ by it. God bless you and keep you. The Shepherd’s voice is a lot different than these wolves. I think on Isaiah 55:10-11. His Word settles on us in this way I believe, and it provides food for the eater, and seed for the sower. Not accusations and condemnation. But instruction and counsel, and for sure comfort (Rom 15:4).

Thank you very much for coming by to read. In Him, Holly

• Michael
      6 years ago

Well said Nathan! Keep exposing the darkness in the brilliant light of Gods truth Holly!

• Thank you Michael, praying people will continue to prove the words of men/women against the light of God’s Word. His truth is how we are sanctified, it’s how unbelievers are able to be made wise unto salvation (2 Tim 3:15).

God bless you in the upcoming year! In Him.

• Thank you Michael, appreciate you visiting!

• Holly,

I wanted to thank you for your website. It sounds like we have been down similar paths. I have been down the path of these heretical teachings of LS’ers before I even knew what the doctrine was,(never listened to MacArthur or Piper, but many others with a more subtle LS false gospel) and I was in despair to the point of suicide, BUT GOD, lead my to the clear gospel and I believed the good news and never have been the same. Oh sure I still sin, and I am not proud of it, but I never doubt my salvation, because I’ve trusted the ONE who said it is finished, He did it all, nothing I can add to HIS finished work except believe, trust, rely upon HIM! AMEN!

• Tully – thank you so much for sharing your story. Praise the dear Lord for His deliverance in our times of grief and despair.

The deception I learned was subtle too, and cost me. I saw over the years, the more obvious, and they were saying the same thing, just a little more insistently and consistently.

I thank the Lord that He used circumstances to draw me back into His Word and communion with Him, and the pure truth of His Word began to help me, guide me, direct me, light up my path.

Such a long story to tell, but the story is all Him; iron sharpening iron, the Word building my faith, giving me discernment between good and evil. I just am very thankful for the Word and for others who are faithful to not compromise His Word.

We lost another who was a defender of the gospel, a contender for the faith, a friend and dear brother in Christ. Our friend Pastor Jack Weaver of http://www.expreacherman.com went to be with the Lord yesterday. John will continue on there, and the Lord will continue to raise up others who loves His Word, and understands we cannot hinder or add to the gospel, because it then becomes another.

Thank you again Tully, of course we still sin, and will until we die, and I thank the Lord for the truth, that HE has done it all. The Good News unencumbered, people need to learn, and preach, before it’s too late for them, or for others they love. He finished it. He rose again. Those of us who have believed upon Him, we will rise again too, to life everlasting, and where He is, so shall we ever be…

• Thank you for writing that it was inspirational to me.

• Todd, I sure appreciate you coming and commenting with a word of encouragement. Hope to see you again. I don’t get things written as often as I’d like, and I’m no writer, but as the Lord is willing.

May He bless you and yours. In Jesus Christ eternally! We are IN HIM.

• Stephen Sponsler
    4 years ago

You’re wrong.. do you realize you will not find ONE SINGLE PERSON out there that someone won’t say is a false preacher? Who says what you think isn’t false? You? ..he’s far better than 90% of them at there at least that are willing to put it out there ..and in reading what little I did read of your post ..I couldn’t get past the first three errors in your character assassination to tolerate any more…The measure you judge is the measure which ye shall be judged..or maybe you’re looking for the candy man cracker jack false feel good gospel that is going around so much today for the self intentioned …why don’t you just come out and say it that you hate so called Calvinisim which in fact is the Original Gospel message..are you afraid you’ll get your feelings hurt? On the other hand before we both have a heart attack..be glad he is preaching to the unrepentant MANY and not letting go of it..he is preaching the Gospel I know for certain few understand because they don’t have the guts to. P.S. Have you heard his wife’s testimony ? Seriously though..don’t be that quick to judge..if we are to write a paper..do one up on Osteen or of the other many on TBS…have a Blessed Day.

• Stephen, thank you for joining us. Not quite sure where to begin, but will try to make sense of your post, starting with the beginning, and answer in an orderly manner.

You say: “You’re wrong.. do you realize you will not find ONE SINGLE PERSON out there that someone won’t say is a false preacher? Who says what you think isn’t false? You? ..he’s far better than 90% of them at there at least that are willing to put it out there”.

I am only concerned what the Bible says about Washer’s error.

You continued to say “..and in reading what little I did read of your post ..I couldn’t get past the first three errors in your character assassination to tolerate any more…The measure you judge is the measure which ye shall be judged-“

The Word actually says, “For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.” I am judging His doctrine with God’s Word, this is a righteous judgment, not one according to the appearance (Jn 7:24) There is no character assassination on my part, only marking and avoiding as I am told (Rom 16:17-18). I pray it will cut off their opportunity with some (2 Cor 11:12-15).

You said “..or maybe you’re looking for the candy man cracker jack false feel good gospel that is going around so much today for the self intentioned –”

Actually, I am defending THE Gospel of our salvation. The Word says we are to watch for those who preach another gospel (2 Cor 11:3-4), and not to give submission for even an hour to one like Paul Washer who preaches law, which is an accursed gospel (Gal 2:4-5; Gal 1:6-9).

You said “…why don’t you just come out and say it that you hate so called Calvinisim which in fact is the Original Gospel message..are you afraid you’ll get your feelings hurt?”

No friend, I am not afraid to get my feelings hurt, may I suffer with Christ. I rejoice if I am ever counted worthy to suffer shame for His name (Acts 5). We will suffer persecution for the offense of the cross, because it is truth (Gal 5). Have you been hindered from obeying the truth, or have you never understood the gospel?

It is by His Word that I gain understanding, therefore I hate every false way (Ps 119:104), and I love His Word, it is treasure (Ps 119:140,162), so again, therefore I hate every false way. The Doctrine of Calvinism is not the gospel message and is a false accursed gospel. Calvinism originated from the love of Augustine’s writing, via carnal and murderous John Calvin in the 1500’s. Puffed up men who thought of other men beyond what is written (1 Cor 4:6) and did not do what they should (Acts 17:11). Others such as Luther, Zwingli, Knox, etc. jumped on the same bandwagon of error. The truth of the gospel remains and has always been since the beginning.

You said: “On the other hand before we both have a heart attack..be glad he is preaching to the unrepentant MANY and not letting go of it..he is preaching the Gospel I know for certain few understand because they don’t have the guts to. P.S. Have you heard his wife’s testimony ? Seriously though..don’t be that quick to judge..if we are to write a paper..do one up on Osteen or of the other many on TBS…have a Blessed Day.”

In brief Stephen, I mourn that Paul Washer and other false prophets like him are preaching at all, because they are deceived and are deceiving many. Paul preaches another gospel, and I pray that I can continue to do my part to warn. Yes, I have read his wife’s testimony and it is heartbreaking. Either she once believed and is brought into bondage by listening to Washer spew a works based gospel, or she has never understood the gospel. Either way, it is bad news.

Please consider this link for the truth of the gospel. You will be judged (as we all will) by His Word in the end (John 12:48).

How to be sure you are going to heaven

• Charles Terrizzi
    3 years ago

1 John says that we know that we know him because we keep his commands and his commands are not grievous to us. ..

You fail to understand who does the saving.

I could as easily accuse you of works salvation with your sinners prayer and multitudes of false converts that trust in it and not Christ.

• Charles, Thank you for visiting.

I do not fail to understand Who saves me, and Who my Savior is, and what He did for me.

We do not teach or preach a sinner’s prayer. We teach Biblical salvation, which is Christ and Him crucified, buried and risen again for our sins, and this is the same gospel all the apostles preached, that they all believed and were saved by.

You did accuse me, reminds me of another accuser. Judge with a righteous judgment if you are able, and it is best to judge by holding up someone’s words to the Word of God. And not falsely accuse of anything one has not said (i.e., that one is saved by a sinner’s prayer).

One is saved by believing the gospel.

• Charles meant that you fail to understand that Paul Washer believes that Christ does the saving. You and Paul Washer both believe that Christ saves us, but Paul Washer preaches that their will be evidence of conversion for the true believer.

• Caleb, I do not fail to understand Paul Washer. He may ‘say’ he believes Christ does the saving then has a long laundry list of other things people must do in order to be given the FREE GIFT of eternal life. Does that compute to you? Isn’t that hugely important not to convolute the gospel or corrupt it in any way?

It is a FREE GIFT not of WORKS lest anyone should boast. People say they believe that and then continue to teach otherwise. Paul Washer is a false teacher who needs to repent (change his mind) from his false teachings before he leads more people to hell.

• Jesusguy
    2 years ago

Just recently came across some great quotes by Paul Washer and found myself here while searching for some more of his quotes. It’s very refreshing to find men like Paul Washer who boldly preach the undiluted gospel of Jesus Christ in this generation that is only tolerant of a gospel that doesn’t offend.

Much of the content here is unsurprising though, as many disciples walked away from Jesus because they considered his sayings “too hard” (John 6:60-66). Jesus also describes the way that leads to life as “difficult” (Matt 7:14).

This article summarily accuses Paul Washer of possibly being “sincerely wrong” but starts off with a terribly wrong representation of a quote of his, “LOOK, GOD DOES NOT COMMAND YOU TO PRAY TO BE STRONG ENOUGH TO DO SOMETHING HE TOLD YOU NOT TO DO”. This article claims it contradicts Matt 26:41 which urges us to pray against temptation. That assertion is FALSE! Paul Washer , by his quote, discourages believers from praying for strength to disobey God. This is backed up by the Bible in James 4:3,

You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures.

Matt 26:41 urges us to watch and PRAY for strength NOT to fall into disobedience. So if we combine PW’s quote with Matt 26:41, It can be expressed this way,

DON’T PRAY FOR STRENGTH TO DISOBEY GOD (PW), RATHER PRAY FOR STRENGTH NOT TO DISOBEY GOD (Matt 26:41)

You should be sincere enough to “look for the truth and be noble” by admitting your error.

Another grave assertion of this article is

“Yes indeed Paul the apostle said God commanded men everywhere to repent, but these men will have you believe that this equates to ‘repent from sin’ (it does not)”

REPENTANCE FROM SIN IS A FOUNDATIONAL REQUIREMENT OF SALVATION ACCORDING TO THE BIBLE!

JOHN 8:11 – “No, Lord,” she said. And Jesus said, “Neither do I. Go and sin no more.”

ACTS 2:38 – Peter replied, “Each of you must repent of your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

ACTS 3:19 – Now repent of your sins and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped away.

One constant thing the apostles battled in the Epistles is people supposedly identifying with Christ but WALKING and WORKING contrary to him. They addressed this severally in scripture and this is the theme of Paul Washer’s preaching

EPHE 4:1 – Therefore I, a prisoner for serving the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of your calling, for you have been called by God.

(GAL 5: 16-21) So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. THEN YOU WON’T BE DOING WHAT YOUR SINFUL NATURE CRAVES. 17 The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions. 18 But when you are directed by the Spirit, you are not under obligation to the law of Moses.

19 When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, 21 envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. LET ME TELL YOU AGAIN, AS I HAVE BEFORE, THAT ANYONE LIVING THAT SORT OF LIFE WILL NOT INHERIT THE KINGDOM OF GOD.

TITUS 1:16 – Such people claim they know God, BUT THEY DENY HIM BY THE WAY THEY LIVE. They are detestable and disobedient, worthless for doing anything good.

(1 PETER 1: 14-17) So you must live as God’s obedient children. Don’t slip back into your old ways of living to satisfy your own desires. You didn’t know any better then. 15 But now you must be holy in everything you do, just as God who chose you is holy. 16 For the Scriptures say, “You must be holy because I am holy.”[c]

17 And remember that the heavenly Father to whom you pray has no favorites. HE WILL JUDGE OR REWARD YOU ACCORDING TO WHAT YOU DO. So you must live in reverent fear of him during your time here as “temporary residents.”

So we must know that faith and belief alone cannot save if they aren’t evidenced by works. Let’s learn from the words of Christ himself in his letter to the churches. The greater part of his issue with them was regarding their BAD WORKS!

(REV 3:2-5) Wake up! Strengthen what little remains, for even what is left is almost dead.I FIND THAT YOUR ACTIONS DO NOT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS OF MY GOD. 3 Go back to what you heard and believed at first; hold to it firmly. Repent and turn to me again. If you don’t wake up, I will come to you suddenly, as unexpected as a thief.

4 “Yet there are some in the church in Sardis WHO HAVE NOT SOILED THEIR CLOTHES WITH EVIL. They will walk with me in white, FOR THEY ARE WORTHY. 5 All who are victorious will be clothed in white. I will never erase their names from the Book of Life, but I will announce before my Father and his angels that they are mine.

Jesus is very interested in our works.

Faith alone won’t save us, neither will works alone. Our faith and belief is shown in our works.

The folks in Matt 7 where disapproved because they Practiced lawlessness, broke God’s laws, worked iniquity (all these errors were shown by WORKS, not by faith). It was not because they had works without faith. Jesus didn’t complain about their faith. They weren’t consistent in righteousness but were both hot and cold ( Rev 3:15). If they didn’t indulge in sin TOGETHER with their “godly” works, they would not have been disapproved.

Paul Washer in danger of PERISHING because of his preaching? On the contrary, his preaching just has the same effect on those in darkness as Jesus did.

(John 3:19,20) And the judgment is based on this fact: God’s light came into the world, but people loved the darkness more than the light, for their actions were evil. 20 All who do evil hate the light and refuse to go near it for fear their sins will be exposed. 21 But those who do what is right come to the light so others can see that they are doing what God wants.

• David (Jesus guy)

Thank you for coming to comment, but I cannot find anything to agree with in what you said. I don’t find Paul Washer’s ‘gospel’ refreshing, sadly I find it to be the same accursed gospel being preached at Galatia. It is another gospel and it will not save, and I’ll continue to stand against it. I’ll answer some of your comments and hope you might consider them.

You stated that many walked away from Jesus because they found his sayings ‘too hard’. This little part of what you said is true, but let’s give the entire truth, the whole counsel of God.

You neglected to share that they walked away because they could not ‘hear them’ (the hard sayings, His Word) and because they did not ‘believe’. Therefore they could not be saved. Understand who He was speaking to, read just the chapter before (5).

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. John 5:24

37 And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape. 38 And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not. 39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life. John 5:37-39

Matthew 7:14 says, because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
      In John 10, Jesus describes the Gate, and it’s the one way to enter. Ps 118 prophesies of the Gate that the righteous will enter and it’s also the Stone that the builder refused. Jesus is the Gate/Door (Rom 10:9). Jesus said in John 14:6, that He is the way, the truth and the life.

You reword Paul Washer’s quote to fit in, I stand by my original assertion. We pray for help in everything.

Repentance from sin is nowhere required in order to receive eternal life. And you are citing bad Bible paraphrases that add ‘of your sins’ to the word ‘repent’. That’s not only dishonest, but it dangerous because it is adding to God’s Word. Have you repented of your sins? If so, how many and how long because Paul Washer says you need to keep repenting to be saved. So when are you finally of the knowledge you are saved? You can’t be.

You might want to reconsider looking into at least a literal Bible translation that doesn’t add words to the originals because you are drinking from the wrong cistern.

Titus 1 speaks to lawkeepers who are teaching Jewish fables to the church. Who are deceivers, who are preaching the law to those not under the law. Try to look into the context of a passage, but you’ll never get it in poor paraphrases like the New Living Translation that add to His Word. They aren’t even close to the original manuscripts so I suggest that might be a good start for you. I’d say more, but maybe you’ll just consider these things David.

You say faith alone won’t save us. Yes, Romans 4:2-5 and Eph 2:8-9 is clear it does save us eternally. The gift of eternal life is free NOT of works. Ever. But works are what we (believers) are created for. And believers should maintain good works (Titus 3:8) because it’s beneficial to men.

I won’t get into a long discussion on something you may not want to hear. But remember the false prophets in Matthew 7?

They were trying to justify themselves by their wonderful works.

David, is it possible that you are trying to do the same?

• Jesusguy
        2 years ago

The Bible is a whole of parts and we must accept the Word wholly or we end up misinterpreting it and accepting partial truths. We should not isolate certain parts to describe the whole. For example, to explain Matt 7, you’ve referred to Psalm 199 and John 14, so we must be open to every stretch of the scriptures to understand this. By the way, I will take your advice regarding Bible translations and stick with your approved KJVs here.

Christ’s analogy in Matt 7 is a great description of the whole, referring to the nature of the gate and the way. We are saved by believing in Jesus (Entering the gate), and that ushers us on the way THAT IS NOT LIFE (eternal) of itself, but “which leadeth unto life” (v14). This is where you mix up the link between John 14:6 (which you quoted) because there, Jesus simply says he is the way, truth and life.

Jesus himself says in Matt 24:13,
        And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
        13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Some could make a shipwreck of their faith (1 Tim 1:19) simply because they can’t endure the restriction of the narrow way, but desire the “freedom” of the broad way,

But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;
        Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended. (Matt 13:20, 21)

In other parts of scripture, the Bible doesn’t just summarize the salvation process as “believing” (faith) but talks about the journey on the narrow way.
        Matt 5:30 – And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. (Is Jesus advocating works as the way to be saved?)

Phil 2:12,13 – Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. (What are they still working out since they have been eternally saved since their confession of faith?)

1 Pet 1:13 to 16 – As obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.”

1 John 2:3 to 6 – Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.

Rev 2:25, 26 – But hold fast what you have till I come. And he who overcomes, and keeps My works until the end, to him I will give power over the nations—

There are tons of scripture. In John 5, the same Jesus that talks about believing in other verses also talks about “doing good” as the qualification for “life” in verse 29. “Believing” is not “doing”, but “believing” is shown in your “doing”.

SCRIPTURE MUST BE BALANCED. All the scripture you quote and reference regarding “believing” and “faith” giving us salvation is true and accepted by me but not in an imbalanced way as to disregard what the same people said about this same matter in other parts of scripture. Balance is key to full wholesome understanding.

I reworded Pw’s quote to perhaps help you understand what is obvious and didn’t change its meaning. You don’t pray for help to disobey God. The fact that you stand by your very obvious error just shows that you are more afraid of accepting your wrong than you are of being wrong.

I’m saved, and I know I am! I have and am believing and walking in salvation on the narrow way. I didn’t enter through the narrow gate and try to find the ease of the broad, or sit at the gate looking to hitch an easy ride to the end of the way; eternal life. My eye is single (Matt 6:22), I’m holding on to Christ’s truth in discipline, lest I become disqualified or lose my crown. I’m being changed everyday as I walk on (2 Cor 3:18). I’m shining on to perfect day (Prov 4:18).

Good works aren’t just beneficial to men (as you say), but are the evidence that we know Christ

1 John 2:4 – He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

I have no problem hearing anything. I’m unbothered by the darkness because the light of Christ’s truth is brighter than all falsehood and I long for opportunities to shine that light, perhaps God will grant repentance. I didn’t start a blog to discredit a preacher who is simply doing what the apostles consistently did right from the beginning … guiding believers in the strait and narrow way regardless of whether it is pleasing to their ears (as you would rather have it) or not (2 Tim 4:2).

Nope, I’m not “trying to do same as the Matt 7 guys because unlike them, I’m not excusing lawlessness (v23) , thinking lawlessness doesn’t matter since I “believe”.

God bless!

• Likely you won’t consider these. But you use a lot of the typical load-ship verses snipped out of context while you say you believe in the whole counsel. There is no Psalm 199. I assume you didn’t read it since you weren’t even close. Quickly I’ll address the error so that maybe others might see.

You say, “We are saved by believing in Jesus (Entering the gate), and that ushers us on the way THAT IS NOT LIFE (eternal) of itself, but “which leadeth unto life” (v14).

What a sad twisting of God’s Word. I already have life. Jesus is that way to ETERNAL LIFE. It is not a John Bunyan process but I am given the Holy Spirit the moment I believe (Eph 1:13) and sealed until the day of redemption.

Matthew 24 and 25 along with Luke 21 and Mark 13 is the Olivet Discourse passages and speaks of a time (the fall of the temple, the tribulation, the time of Jacob’s Trouble, the end of the trib (the sign of His coming) and the end of the age (the beginning of the Millennium). It is spoken to a people (Israel), a place (Jerusalem), those under the law (fleeing on the Sabbath) and a prophecy Daniel spoke TO and ABOUT and FOR Israel (Dan 9:24-27).

Making a ‘shipwreck of their faith’(1 Tim 1:19) is about no longer having a sound conscience because they’ve listened to men like you who have brought in the suggestion that one won’t be resurrected to eternal life, which is clearly laid out in 1 Corinthians 15 to be false. He is telling them not to let them deceive them so their faith is shaken.

Parable of the sowers is articulated fully here if you’d like to consider it: https://expreacherman.com/2014/06/01/some-lordship-salvationists-pet-passages-explained/#_ednref8

• Continuing: (I prefer to keep the comments shorter and orderly).

Matt 5:30: No, Jesus is not advocating works to be saved, for if that were the case, why do you still have a right hand or eye? Jesus is preaching the law expanded to Israel. The purpose of the law is a tutor to bring people to Christ. The law has never justified one person. And so we know Jesus is not preaching law so that they might be saved, but to show them the futility of being saved by works.

…knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. Galatians 2:16

• 1 Cor 9:27 -But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.

Again context is everything, just go back a couple of verses. Believers already possess eternal life, this portion in chapter 9 speaks to rewards (whether or not they will receive a crown):

And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

• 2 Cor 6:17 – Therefore “Come out from among them And be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, And I will receive you.”

I assume you think this speaks again to eternal life. It does not.

Once again, back up to context and it is a contrast between believers and unbelievers, and believers not being yoked with non-believers. Receiving them speaks to fellowship just as does abiding. The problem you have in seeing these verses is you think of believer and you see them as a flower with petals that they have eternal life, they lost eternal life. He loves me, He loves me not.

This verse speaks to believers staying in fellowship with the Lord and each other by staying away from carnality. To not be apart in the world like the Prodigal son, but to come back (or stay home) with the Father.

• 2 Tim 2:19 – Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity. (Do you depart from iniquity by simply believing you have?)

I’m not even sure of the point you make. ‘Do I depart from iniquity simply by believing I have’?

This again has nothing to do with eternal life, neither the receipt or the supposed loss of. This speaks to believers departing from sin. We wholly advocate BELIEVERS do that by abiding in Christ. Abiding in the light vs. darkness. Not to simply be hearers but doers so that BELIEVERS might be BLESSED.

• Phil 2:12,13 – Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

You asked “(What are they still working out since they have been eternally saved since their confession of faith?)”

They are not working for eternal life. It is not by works we are saved, ever (Rom 4:2-5; Eph 2:8-9; Rom 11:6; Gal 2:16). They are working out their walk with Him in this lifetime. Their physical deliverance, their rewards. He calls them beloved and brethren and brother in this epistle. It is spoken to eternally secure people. It is God who works in us.

• 1 Pet 1:14-16 – As obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.”

You left out vs. 13 above, but it’s good to note the ‘wherefores’ and the ‘therefores’ because the prior conversation is important.
          So really we should start from the beginning of 1 Peter.

In 1 Peter 1, the Holy Spirit has already identified them as elect and sanctified by the Spirit (See Heb 10:10-14), they are perfected forever.

Just in chapter 1 He’s called them brethren, children, begotten, redeemed who have purified souls. They are Born again and that is of an incorruptible seed. These are believers who have an inheritance that is also incorruptible, undefiled, does not fade away, reserved in heaven for them.

So the ‘who’ is settled here as eternally secure believers. What this book is dealing with is their walk, i.e. their obedience, their conduct, their manner of conversation — what they should be conformed to or not be conformed to. They should strive to be like Christ.

• I could take all the time in the day, never knowing if you’ll consider it. As far as 1 John, you need to understand again WHO 1 John is written to. Eternally secure believers who are listening to gnostics and abiding in darkness, not loving one another, not keeping His commandments, saying they do not sin, etc.

It gives BELIEVERS instructions on how to walk in the light, or better yet, how to know if they are walking in the light or lying. Whether the truth is abiding in us, or we are just saying we are abiding in Him. If we are abiding in Him, we should walk as He has given us an example.

The book is written so believers’ joy might remain full, and that their fellowship with God and others will abide. Please consider context. I realize with Arminians these things fall on deaf ears oftentimes, but Scripture doesn’t contradict other Scripture.

Either eternal life is free, or we have to work for it. The Bible is clear, we cannot attain it by works. It is instantaneous, we are passed from death unto life the moment we believe.

I’m not going to go on much further, the answers were really put there to help others.

You cannot know you are saved if you are still working for it, that was my point. If you don’t believe God’s Word that you have eternal life.

• I didn’t start this blog to discredit anyone in particular, but to obey Scripture and to mark and avoid those who bring a doctrine contrary to the one they learned (Rom 16:17-18).

Since you quoted 2 Tim 4:2, let me say I didn’t get sound doctrine from you, but you bring another. As I watched you interpret verses it’s apparent how you view them. From an insecure position of unbelief. Why do I say that? Because you don’t hear His Word. You don’t believe what He’s testified of regarding His Son. You are still justifying yourself by your wonderful works, Matthew 7:23 has nothing to do with ‘excusing lawlessness’.

They are workers of iniquity, or they are lawless simply because they have not done the Father’s will (seen in John 6:39-40). I am not under the law. Psalm 94:4 says all the workers of iniquity boast in themselves. I am made righteous (Rom 5:19), not because of anything I have done, but because of what Christ has done. I pray one day you will submit to HIS righteousness.

For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth. Rom 10:3-4

The law is made for the unrighteous (see 1 Tim 1:8), I am no longer unrighteous, but I am eternally righteous, secure forever, kept by the power of God, sealed by the Spirit until the day of redemption, translated into the kingdom of His dear Son, seated in heavenly places with a citizenship in heaven. You’ve seen more, but He says some won’t hear His Word and do not have His Word abiding in them. That they will not come to HIM that they might have life. Rather yet they are still like Israel, seeking to establish their own righteousness via the law.

• Holly, thank you for defending the gospel and marking and avoiding “jesusguy.”

He is under a curse for teaching a false gospel (Galatians 1:8-9).

We can use the word of God, and pray for understanding, but we can’t make people believe, and God doesn’t either. We can answer those who twist scripture the best we can, but if they are bent on teaching false gospels, they will find countless other passages on which to base their corruption of the gospel.

And, if they were to run out of verses on which to base their corruption of the gospel, they would simply make stuff up

From Ron Shea:

“Rather than coming to scripture to learn the mind of God, some unregenerate men approach scripture determined to justify the beliefs they already hold…

Not surprisingly therefore, those who believe that they, rather than Jesus Christ, are the Savior of their own souls, have, for centuries, sought from Scripture proof-texts to justify this conclusion.”

The Bible is clear that:
    1. We receive eternal life by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone.
    2. We are eternally secure in Christ.
    3. We can have assurance of eternal life, based on God’s promises alone, without having to wait to “see how we do.”

If any interpretation of scripture violates any of these clear tenets, it simply cannot be true.

• Excellent comment John. It’s been my experience that they do just what Ron says, they are determined to justify the erroneous beliefs they already hold.

• Jesus Guy,

We won’t be posting any more of your contradictory lengthy comments.

We try to give everyone a fair chance for discussion but we aren’t here to receive instruction from you on a lifetime of works for salvation. Or whether you can lose your salvation. We’ve stated our position clearly.

We are saved the moment we believe and sealed with the Holy Spirit, until the day of redemption. The gift we receive with the Holy Spirit is eternal life, since He indwells us permanently. He will never leave us nor forsake us. He also will allow no one to snatch us out of His hand. We’ve been passed from death unto life, and we shall never perish. We shall never come under condemnation.

I pray you will come to understand that, but you’ll have to understand we’re not going to continue with one in such error and misunderstanding of Scripture.

• Concerned
    1 year ago

A false teacher is not one who teaches people not to sin; he is one who teaches that there is another way to be saved. If Jesus does not save us from sin, then what is salvation? Check your motivation for claiming someone is a false teacher and rightly divide the word of God. False teachers are those who comfort people in their sin. If there is anything God hates, it is sin. If there is anything Satan loves, it is sin. Without holiness, no one shall see the Lord, Hebrews 12: 14.

• Dear ‘Concerned’, thank you for coming to comment.

Paul Washer is a false teacher for suggesting one turns from all sin in order to be saved.

Turning from sin is a good work, a righteous work right?

It is not by works of the law, or of any kind, even works of righteousness whereby we can be saved (Titus 3:4-7; Eph 2:8-9; Rom 4:2-6; Rom 11:6).

Gal 1:6-10 calls one who adds works of the law accursed. Jesus saves us from the wages of sin which is eternal death and separation from God. That is eternal life, His promise to those who believe upon Him (John 5:24; John 6:47; Rom 6:23).

Now being saved from the practice of sin is called practical sanctification. It’s called ‘walking in the Spirit’ (Gal 5:16).

My motivation for stating someone is a false teacher is Rom 16:17-18. It is 2 Cor 11:3-15. It is to obey Scripture as we see in Gal 2:4-5 regarding those who advocate keeping the law for salvation from hell.

I think maybe you’re mixing up salvation from the power of sin in our lives with salvation from hell.

Can you share with me how you know you are saved forever from the penalty of hell? What is that gospel?

Romans 7 is a big truth regarding believers still having evil present in their flesh until we are delivered/saved from our body of sin on the day we are glorified, raised incorruptible.

God hates sin and believers should pursue holiness by walking in the Spirit not fulfilling the lusts of the flesh. And regarding Heb 12:14, you only have holiness because of what Jesus did on the cross, (Heb 9:27-28) to save us from the Great White Throne judgement.

If you think you can be saved by turning from sin, please read this article, because no one is saved from hell by turning from sin.

• You walk a dangerous path. It’s people like you that divide and mislead the church. Your arrogance and pride show readily.

• Thank you for coming to offer your opinion Tom. If you believe I walk a dangerous path, you might consider using the Word of God to correct me (2 Tim 3:16-17), because it really is profitable for doctrine and reproof. And maybe think on using the manner we see in 2 Tim 2:23-26. Not sure what part I wrote in which you were able to discern arrogance or pride, but I have no feeling of arrogance or pride. It’s something I have no desire to reside it, for God is resisting us at those times. I walk in love towards others, not wanting them to be misled by these wolves or put into bondage by them.

What is the gospel you were saved by Tom? Would you like to share what one needs to do in order to be saved by Jesus?

• I also find it curious that those who come to warn you (without His Word) only call you names. They don’t try to divert you from the dangerous path they believe you to be on. For anyone else reading, note when someone uses His Word and allows it to work, trusting it’s power (Is 55:10-11; Heb 4:12), or those who just use their own words.

• And edgy
    9 months ago

I don’t think you’re understanding what he said… the very first image says He doesn’t ask us to pray to be strong enough to DO something He asked us not to do. Example… we are not supposed to get divorced, so God will not answer prayers to make us strong enough to leave our husbands/wives.

• And Edgy, I appreciate you wanting to give him the benefit of the doubt, but even so, He does want us to pray for all temptations. Having listened to and read enough Washer, I believe I understand the direction he’s coming from. I urge you to be a Berean (Acts 17:11) and be careful of these types, because they’ll make you doubt your own salvation.

Trackbacks & Pings